Friday, October 16, 2009

Technique Club Project

I did this project today from start to finish and am so proud of myself that I thought I'd post it. Sorry for the terrible lighting but I didn't feel like setting up the light tent and the weather outside is rather dismal for an outdoor photo. I'm sure you get the gist of the project! I'm starting a new Stampin' Up! Technique Club this coming Sunday and this is a variation of the project we will be doing for the first meeting. The idea is to present two or three techniques each meeting for six months, with technique "recipe" cards to go along with the projects. By the end of the six months each club member should have 10 to 12 new techniques for crafting/stamping projects. The box will hold all the technique "recipes", which they can keep on their craft desk to pull from when they need some inspiration. I often create sketches of the projects I'm working on, with dimensions and tips written down as I go. Now I can pull a card from my technique box and sketch my projects, then place them in the box for safekeeping when I'm done!
What a surprise that I used my signature colors to make this project! (not!) I'm preening from my resourcefulness in creating this lovely embellishment. Inspired by Heather Bailey, a fabric designer and inventor, I decided to create my own fabric flower embellishment for the top of the box and I love how it turned out. The fabric is recycled from a pair of curtains I had in my last apartment, plus felt pieces leftover from previous felt projects, a scrap of satin Stampin' Up! ribbon, and a button re-purposed from a stash that came from a tin of buttons that I played with as a child that I believe were my great-grandmother's buttons.
The box purchased for the project contains a heavy duty chipboard egg holder that I trimmed down and covered with matching cardstock. The original project by Nicole Heady uses a piece of foam core board but since that's not an item easily found in Germany, I decided to use the egg insert instead of tossing it. By leaving on the short side flaps, the insert stays upright without having to glue it into the box and gives you the option of moving the insert back and forth


I painted the outside of the box with black acrylic paint, allowed it to dry (about 10 or 15 minutes, which was really fast!), glued the paper to the box with the Mod Podge and then I applied a layer of matte Mod Podge on the outside of the box. I've never used Mod Podge, which is a clear sealer, and it really leaves the project looking professionally finished. Plus if you decide to use this as a recipe box, it protects the outside of the box from spatters. I hope you enjoyed my latest project!



1 comment:

Angi (Mistress_of_Mayhem) said...

Hi, Andrea! As usual BEAUTIFUL work! I sure miss your classes. Hope all is going well with you. Have a great week!

Angi

Number of cows visiting my pasture...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails