Friday, March 14, 2008

Altered Pencil Tin

Tuesday night I taught my first Altered Tin class at the Ramstein Arts & Crafts Center and here is the first of the two tins we altered. Dollar and discount stores are hard to find in Germany so imagine my surprise finding one relatively close to my house! The obnoxiously green pencil tins and wild Hawaiian print wrapping paper (yep, wrapping paper!) were 1 euro each at KiK Discount Store. For those of you familiar with the exchange rate, the price is actually over $1.00 each but it could be worse! I know the colors are wild but the weather here has been so dismal that I needed to be reminded of the years we lived on Oahu and that warm Hawaiian weather. This project is super simple so here we go. The top is covered with a layer of Brilliant Blue cardstock and a strip of wrapping paper. I created a belly band with Tempting Turquoise and Brilliant Blue Cardstock, then wrapped the band with raffia to give it a "grass skirt" effect. The sentiment, taken from the retired SU! Do the Hula stamp set, is stamped in Brilliant Blue on Whisper White cardstock and punched with the Marvy Uchida Giga Scallop punch. The leaves were added using Gable Green ink. I then stamped the hibiscus flower in Tempting Turquoise and cut around the edges. Using the side of my finger, I round the petals and added some Stickles for a little added pizazz. The flower and sentiment were adhered to the top of the belly band with 3-D foam tape. I'm excited about this tin because it is my own design and not CASEd from someone else! Okay, it's not as fabulous as what I've seen others create but I'm putting my creative toes out one at a time. Fill the tin with nuggets covered with extra wrapping paper or other goodies such as a set of pens, school supplies, or more chocolate. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Love the Kik store! Great place for color, isn't it?! and you are so right - we could certainly use it, right now...

The tin is so cute! May have to take a trip to Kik today... :)

Number of cows visiting my pasture...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails